We're reviewing the Heavy Vehicle National Law
Ministers have asked the National Transport Commission (NTC) to lead the review of the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) and its supporting regulations.
We recognise that the current law is not best practice - it's outdated, complex, long, prescriptive and does not support road safety outcomes. We are going back to basics to review the law from first principles.
The HVNL Review will result in performance-based and outcomes-focused regulation that will:
- improve safety for all road users
- support increased economic productivity and innovation
- simplify administration and enforcement of the law
- support the use of new technologies and methods of operation, and
- provide flexible, outcome-focused compliance options.
Have your say
Getting involved is easy. Tell us your experiences and give us your feedback. Your input will be used to inform and shape policy options for consideration by ministers.
We will be seeking your views between February 2019 and May 2020.